• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

waveguide pistons?

Canadan

I know what im getting into here. But I want to know what actual benefits come from "waveguided" pistons. All the site says is a computer told them to make it that way. Would coated pistons not be a better "gimmick" than fancy shapes on top of $600 pistons? Cause there is actual science and testing done behind coating the tops on ceramic and moly on the skirts. Much higher detonation resistance, less friction blah blah. Okay let the ****storm commence. Let's not close this but rather communicate and have constructive argumentation.

Yeah I did, it ended cause people said they like it but when someone tried to argue that just because someone likes something doesnt make it any better someone closed it down. No conclusion was reached

They are the same price or cheaper than any other forged piston, so even if they are not special its a good deal.:)

:e-shrug::poo:Somebody spending a lot of money and assembling a motor without decking the block....uh OK..

Here, here's some flat tops:

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/g5U6cwX8RcE?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/g5U6cwX8RcE?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Nobody in USA makes Redblocks anywhere near that...Normal aspirated and over 250 bhp around 7000 rpm..

Flat tops..

OP, you looking to build something like that performance?...I think you can hear that its pretty bad-ass

Some wise guy said a long time ago:
"The root of all unhappiness is desire"

What is it you desire?

:e-shrug::poo:Somebody spending a lot of money and assembling a motor without decking the block....uh OK..

Here, here's some flat tops:

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/g5U6cwX8RcE?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/g5U6cwX8RcE?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Nobody in USA makes Redblocks anywhere near that...Normal aspirated and over 250 bhp around 7000 rpm..

Flat tops..

OP, you looking to build something like that performance?...I think you can hear that its pretty bad-ass

Some wise guy said a long time ago:
"The root of all unhappiness is desire"

What is it you desire?

Nope nobody does...my motor only makes 235bhp with dished pistons....

Google "roller-wave" pistons...seems like a love/hate relationship with them.

http://www.theoldone.com/default.asp

Not sure if RSI did back to back comparisons with other pistons or not...it also seems like the head should be worked on to optimize the design of the pistons...I could be wrong, but it looks like they only sell pistons (Endyn) when they are doing work to your head as well.

Logically in my opinion, anything you can do to swirl the mix better you will get a better burn. The asymmetric shape intuitively seems like it would swirl the air better than a regular dished piston,plus it optimizes the quench pad area. I'm running an 0.030 Cometic and my piston are pretty much even with the top of the block, The machinist said they were 0.002 in but I couldn't get an .002 feeler gauge under a good straight edge. I'm considering going the other way and getting like a .045 or .050 HG to reduce my static CR and try a little more boost. They have taken more than their share of detonation with my ham-fisted attempts at tuning.

http://www.theoldone.com/components/pistons/

Today:
Endyn Roller-Wave Honda Pistons*

*Only Available with cylinder head packages or in engines built at ENDYN

Looks like all the jabber is moot if he says he's only supplying Honda pistons and only in heads and motors he builds.

oh well, there's all the benefits could all be had easily like this:
Get a small triangular shaped file and then.........like namaste doods.

If the computer was right it should help flame propagation And ideally you want to corral the air/fuel mixture tightly around the spark plug so the complete mixture of bull burn with one combustion event back on the old big American Iron v8s the used to use popup pistons to get the compression around 12 to 1. while the pop-up does bring the compression up it doesn't necessarily contain all the air/fuel mixture in one spot. the best way to do it would be with a flat or semi dish piston coming up to around .030 from the bottom of the head surface in Corral in the air mixture in a combustion chamber right on top of the spark plugs.
there is a lot of science that goes into the burn process in combustion chamber

Metric Mechanic does similar 'voodoo' in their BMW engines. Not sure if anybody has ever published an independent dyno of a MM engine either, but they cut some interest grooves into the combustion chamber of the heads. Not sure how I feel about it, but I can't see many real negatives. So long as there's no place to create a hot spot on the piston.

Ahh yes the "singh groove" theory. I think kenny and sam was going to attempt that or had a detailed discussion about it. But i dont think anything ever came about...

I thought I made a mention of grooves but they actually work, allows a channel for the flame front to shoot towards the cylinder walls to ignite more. Magic happens and people find the ability to make usable power while otherwise lugging the engine down low, better mpg and power from a more complete burn as well as lower emission from burning everything at once. Also finding the ability to run extreme advance without detonation but that's not going to make so much before it's advanced too far to make power. Very interesting theory

I thought I made a mention of grooves but they actually work, allows a channel for the flame front to shoot towards the cylinder walls to ignite more. Magic happens and people find the ability to make usable power while otherwise lugging the engine down low, better mpg and power from a more complete burn as well as lower emission from burning everything at once. Also finding the ability to run extreme advance without detonation but that's not going to make so much before it's advanced too far to make power. Very interesting theory

Citation needed.

Back