• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Weird overheating problem

Edw

Hi guys, i have a weird problem (i think). I have installed a new motor with new turbo etc etc with standalone ecu. B230 with all new and upgraded internals. Car is a 79 242.

Im in the process of running the motor in and when driving all seems fine. Although a little on the cold side but im being gentle because of the running in. The temp gauge hangs somewhat under middle and the ecu says 83-84 degrees celsius.

But when i stop i hear and feel a kind of pulsating sloshing sound in the coolant tank. The temp starts creeping up on my gauges (normal heatsoak i guess). When i start the engine they come down again (both sensors are in the block). But all of this has no effect on the sloshing bubbling in the tank.

The turbo is also watercooled, it seems those hoses run extra hot and send that heat into the tank.

Anyone have a clue?

Yes i have tried two different ones (one new and one used) with the same result.

What elevation are you at, and what mix of antifreeze are you running? In other words, what's the boiling point of your antifreeze?

Are you using factory turbo coolant lines? IIRC, they're setup to allow a little convection driven circulation.

The only other thought is that you might still have some air in the system. Is the jiggle valve on the thermostat at the top?

Thanks guys, you gave some things to check (thermostat valve and after that bypassing turbo), i’ll report back on tuesday 🫡

Thermostat was installed correctly, maybe jiggle valve thing not 100% on top but not far off. Tank seems ok.

I was thinking, im not sure what kind of thermostat i have, but if the engine reads 84 and i have one that opens at 92, it wouldnt open at all. The turbo will heat the coolant above that considerably but it wouldnt cycle past the bottle, and not through the radiator....

I have tested the thermostat in a cup and i really need to dump boiling water onto the thing to get it to open up. Like, almost boiling isnt enough. I dont have a temp gauge unfortunately but i might have the 92 variant.

I have tested the thermostat in a cup and i really need to dump boiling water onto the thing to get it to open up. Like, almost boiling isnt enough. I dont have a temp gauge unfortunately but i might have the 92 variant.
I've tested thermostats like that and they've behaved similarly.

Tried the new thermosthat. Same result. It just seems to be only the hoses around the turbo that splosh around. I took a look at the manual of the turbo and apparently the angle of the turbo has some impact aswell so ill check that now.

Can you do a log on your aftermarket ECU showing the coolant temperature over: warmup, at temperature, parked engine off key on for 5minutes (or whatever it takes for weirdness to occur), then running again for a few minutes?

Have you opened the coolant cap when just warming up to make sure there aren't bubbles from a head gasket leak? Don't open the cap when hot or it may spray coolant (or be very careful if you do).

I could do a log i guess. But i know what happens, it warms up till about 83 with normal driving. If i give it some it creeps up to 90. If i park it with ignition on, the fan cools it till under 90. If i turn ignition off it warms up till 100 or so. All this is pretty normal i think. The strange thing is the sploshing around the turbo hoses. It seems pretty local and the turbo is flat while it should be between 10 and 20 degrees. Coming in at the bottom and going out on top. So its a good chance thats whats causing it. I'll see next week, the car is at the painters now.

No bubbles by the way. And i can open it no problem while running. I've stuck my finger in the little tank. Its not that hot.

Back