• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What to adjust cam gear to with B cam?

leadermoose

I have a B cam and a STS adjustable cam gear in my b230f 8v.
I am just wondering what I should set my adjustable cam gear to so that the car is timed correctly. Currently it's at 7 degrees advanced (which I've been told by multiple people is a lot), and I was just wondering what it should actually be at. I've been told be a few people to just set it to zero, but at this point I don't really know. When we first put the cam in, we set it to I'm pretty sure 9 degrees advanced (honestly idk what we set it to, but we just set it to the same thing as my dad's car that has an A cam in it.) The car did run last time we started it, but it was very choppy (could just be the B cam choppiness). I know I need new engine mounts, which probably doesn't help with the amount of engine rock, but it seemed like a lot of shaking. Help/advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

This is currently what it's set to:
(sorry for the extremely zoomed in picture, TB hates when I upload pictures)
20240322_160914.jpg

Please remember that each of those marks is 2 crank degrees, which is what you're dealing with when people say "it's 2 degrees advanced" or "it's 4 degrees advanced". Basically what I'm saying is move it one mark at a time.
That is good to know, because I definitely thought each mark was one degree.

stock engine?
non turbo?
auto trans then advance it slightly.
manual trans straight up is usually best for A and B.

CT tuning did dyno tests with different standard camshafts on a unmodified 530 head. Volvo did a good job and there is no need to adjust the cam angle on a stock engine. If you want to change the power curves you should do so by changing cams.
The B cam is nice and it should not be choppy. Try a standard cam gear, you won't be doing any magic tricks with the adjustable cam gear.

Back