• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Where *is* the 240 wiper relay. . .?

jkior

edit: How to check wiper control switch?

The windshield intermittent relay, on an '88 245, that is. I'm trying to solve my completely dead wipers problem, and I can't find it. Also, is this what it looks like:
6849780.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
The windshield intermittent relay, on an '88 245, that is. I'm trying to solve my completely dead wipers problem, and I can't find it. Also, is this what it looks like:
6849780.jpg

Thanks!

on the older ones. there isnt a relay. its part of the motor itself. not sure on yours. but thats how it is on my 83

In my '86 it was in the driver footwell, all the way in the back, left corner, under the carpet

Yeah, Pull out the trim piece down there and then you have to unscrew this black metal cover that goes over it. It's almost surely that, because my wipers were not working at all and I replaced it and voila.

now uh by "back corner" do you mean by the a column or the b column? i.e., by the driver's door hinge, or the next column back?

edit: wait wait wait black metal cover. . .do you mean the footrest? sweet I'll go check it out, thanks!

Last edited:
to the left of the brake pedal, where your left foot would rest against the firewall while driving. pull back carpet, remove screws holding down the black metal cover, and the relay is behind. make sure you put it back so the connectors are pointed down. mine got filled with water because it wasn't positioned correctly.

Huh. So there's no obvious damage, arcing, corrosion, etc. Is there any way to test this relay short of replacement? I'm getting ground on terminals 81 and 36 (black and yellow-blue), battery on 15 (yellow?), but it doesn't change when I move the wiper control lever. Should I be getting changes? Is anyone familiar with how that switch is *supposed* to work?

Thanks!

Back