• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Whiteblock 6 Cat Cams?

nmerriw

Background: I have a dead stock B6304s from a 97 960 swapped into my 91 240, t5 trans, homebrew divided flange t4 manifold with a billet wheel hx35 slapped on it.
Right now I'm running very low boost (like 5psi) to keep the wimpy rods together while I build up a t6 hybrid engine.

Ultimately I want to build a "b6284t", I have an 01 s80 t6 engine (81mm bore, squirters) and the finest h beam rods china can supply.
Based on Lankku and Bondo's threads the plan is stock pistons, shim the deck, rwd head, and early cams with some porting.

But then I found these:

Seems they'd work well with a stock valvetrain, and give a little more gusto compared to the 204hp cams.

Anyone have experience with these, or something similar for a 5 cyl? Cat Cams makes quite a few flavors for both 5 and 6 cyl whiteblocks.

I have no experience with those cams and I don't know the duration specs for the stock cams vs those but just looking at the 9.5mm lift on those vs the early stock cam 9.0mm lift, spending ~$1K for 0.5mm more lift doesn't sound like the best use of money for performance.

Always cool to see more people doing stuff with the 6 cylinder whiteblocks. Are you still running the stock ecu?

Stock early cam duration is 235/235 vs these at 250/246 (both .1mm min lift) and an extra .5mm of lift.
I really don't have a good feel for what kind of difference that will make, I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to cams.

I do know that either set will be night and day compared to the wimpy cams (7.95mm lift 240/240 duration (allegedly, I don't know at what min lift) I have now, things really start to fall off around 5500.

I'm on an MS3X and street tuned with a headphone amp wired into the knock sensors for now.
I knew the plan was built engine and likely e85 at some point so didn't bother with making the stock stuff work.

I've got another question regarding these if anyone can answer;
Are these for the non-vvt (960) head, or are they for non-vvt use in the VVT (RN) head?

I've got another question regarding these if anyone can answer;
Are these for the non-vvt (960) head, or are they for non-vvt use in the VVT (RN) head?
I would think they are made based on the head. The site says: These camshafts are available in different designs depending on the engine code.

I would think they are made based on the head. The site says: These camshafts are available in different designs depending on the engine code.
okay.
I think a set of these are in my future, next winter I want to put a ported head on mine with spring upgrade and cams.

Back