• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Wiseco Pistons - Pin Boss Spacing?

Mylesofsmyles

A Member
Building a B230FT with maxspeedingrods, which have a 25mm small-end-width (like a stock 13mm rod)
Planning on the Wiseco pistons, which have a pin boss spacing of 1.252"
Thats a big space for that 25mm wide rod, is that okay?
Wiseco says it's A-OK, but I wanted to ask the esteemed community of boostaholics.

It's been a while, and I forget the details, but stock (unless I'm remembering backwards) is piston steered - with the rod located fore/aft by clearance with the piston, instead of crank steered, withit located by the sides of the big end. But when you get into custom parts, they might be either/or. And it's certainly possible to get both (not good) or neither (not good) steered.

Also, I bought a set of Wiseco turbo 16V pistons back in the day and never paid much attention to the wristpins they supplied with the turbo pistons, and they sent some 'lightweight' pins. And I broke one of them and somehow, not sure how, did NOT blow up the engine in a spectacular way. If you're planning on much boost, make sure they give you the thick HD wristpins.

It's a overkill stockish rebuild. It'll see a 19t and maybe 12psi for daily street use. I'll mind the wristpins.

I just don't want to buy incompatible parts. The stock B230 is piston steered, maxspeedingrods, dimensionally are about as wide as stock 13mm rods.

Does a machine shop just make spacers for the wristpin? Or are they allowed to have such wide clearance?

IIRC, I bought some Max-peeing rods last time around on the 16VT, and there were two big end widths available, with the wider being the crank steered version.

I'm not sure about the specs on the Wisecos, but I'd suspect they're not piston steered unless specially specced to be (and then, with what rods?).

I don't know if spacers could be used or not. I think it's generally better to just go with the crank steered rods.

Correct, who's got crank steered 152mm rods for a b230?

Even yoshifab options are listed as a "drop-in" solution, which lends it self to being 25mm wide, and piston steered.

I'm continuing to ask Wiseco questions, as this doesn't quite add up to me.

What is wrong with new stock pistons? There are countless B230s with over 300k miles on those pistons and they stand up well to the boost levels you are talking about.

When you're building a motor, why not. I'd rather spend the extra money and get a bitchinn' set of forged pistons.
Emailed back and forth with Wiseco. Their latest response...

"No issue running as full floating. This is the most common style build with these parts."

Full floating is referring to the rod

When you're building a motor, why not. I'd rather spend the extra money and get a bitchinn' set of forged pistons.
Emailed back and forth with Wiseco. Their latest response...

"No issue running as full floating. This is the most common style build with these parts."

Full floating is referring to the rod
Then spend the extra money and get forged pistons and rods that were designed as a set from someone who knows redblocks. Just verify lead time.

Both KG trimming and KL racing offer rods with both crank and pin steering, fully gloating from wiseco would suggest you should get crank steered rods
I'm not sure where you found those.
Just checked KG trimming and found a collection of cast pistons, no rods
All the 152mm options I see on KL Racing are a 25mm wide rod

Then spend the extra money and get forged pistons and rods that were designed as a set from someone who knows redblocks. Just verify lead time.
So far as I can tell, rods aren't my issue, if they're dimensionally the same as what else is out there. Who makes the pistons that fit?

You can also use what you have with some aluminum spacers between the rod and the pin boss. Think thick aluminum or teflon washer, been done many many many times. I've seen motorcycle pistons shipped with spacers from the suppliers.

You can also use what you have with some aluminum spacers between the rod and the pin boss. Think thick aluminum or teflon washer, been done many many many times. I've seen motorcycle pistons shipped with spacers from the suppliers.

Kg seems to offer these for their Ross pistons, for some reference spec, they suggest 0,10-0,15mm play.

Back