• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

XC70-Decision To Make, Buy it?

vvpete

So I'm shopping for a wagon, and looking at XC70's so I can do some snow and mountian climbing better than the old 350k miles 245 that needs some work, lots of work.

I found an '04 XC70 AWD that is in great condition, interior is impecable, not a hint of torn or wear on the leather, silver body is near mint, everything works, and drove great, has new turbo and front end is in new shape, somebody did some work on it, well cared for, new mounts, shocks, brakes are fabulous, engine purrs like the new 04 V70 2.5T I sold a few years ago with 40k miles on it.
The bad. 229k miles on it
Well it drove great for the first 15 min, very nice on the highway, then it started to stumble on slight acceleration, even grumbled and acted like the engine missed, but feels like a transmission problem. My son thinks that maybe the radiator leaked coolant into the trans cooler lines and f**ed up the transmission.
The good
Volvo dealer will sell it to me at wholesale price of $1700. I was ready to buy it immediately until the stumble started, then I saw the $$ signs blinking in my head, thinking about the cost of a new transmission. With the miles the car is worth about $3500 in avg cond.
Say 'Yeah' or 'Nay'?

I'd check the codes and see for sure whether the transmission is the cause of the problem. If it's not, that's not a bad price, but if it is, the cost of parts and labor (if you can't do it yourself) will more than eat up the difference between the selling price and the market value.

Also being an 04 the angle gear sleeve might have rusted out being they changed to a harder material late in 05'. Parts for that are only $100-200 but the labor (or diy time) is the issue.

2004 will not have an etm. Has ETA. No software in that one. Take it off and clean it. GENTLY with old toothbrush and solvent. Make sure ur PCV is clear or it wont run right. OEM plugs only. OEM OIL FILTER.. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. I see aftermarket filters ( this car takes the element) sucked inward and collpse.

Make sure ur T belt is new along with the tensioners etc. Radiators leak on the R/S lower corner.

TRANS takes synthetic fluid. no filter to change. If it takes a dump call erie and get a new one ( 6 month warranty IIRC) make sure you have the latest SW in everything. go to a dealer and request a total CAN upgrade.

I been workin at a volvo dealer for 10 years. Those cars are GRAVY work compared to the new ones.

Also being an 04 the angle gear sleeve might have rusted out being they changed to a harder material late in 05'. Parts for that are only $100-200 but the labor (or diy time) is the issue.

Im sure he will have to R&R the ( leaking) angle gear and modify the case. He can tackle the sleeve then. Rear diff as well. I dislike the covers under these cars because it can hide stuff.

/\ This.... That said.... When you 'get' to R&R a transmission or do a t-belt svc in it you will cuss yourself in a manner not previously seen or believed possible.

Really.

Yeah, can be a PITA, I've done a B6304 6cyl not a 5 tho, same (?)

I'm going to talk with the serrvice mgr tomorrow and see what they say after a diagnostic.

Well the bottom line is the XC70 needs a Differential Control Module and software, which is $1400 plus install and programming, about $1800 total.

But, here's the twist. The dealer refused to sell it to me. Period. Couldn't get them to budge. Apparently state law says that even for a wholesale car sale to the public must meet a 15 day or 500 mile warranty, and they refused to certify the sale. They need to sign a form that states so. Even after I said I wanted to have their shop do the work and sell me the car after going through a safety inspection, refused to sell it to me. They claim it needs struts (which it doesn't), and a battery and blower motor is noisy, which it needs, but could be fixed and still be a good buy. Bastards won't sell it unless I have a dealer license.
I'm pissed.:wtf:

Back