• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Painting valve covers

Looky what I got sandblasted and coated in wrinkle black :-D

HPIM0653.jpg

I was thinking I might NOT sand down the letters, I thought I didn't have the means to get a good polish on them, and I can do it in the future if need be...

But boredom soon set in, and I found some sand paper :oogle:

HPIM0657.jpg

HPIM0655.jpg

Yes the paint on my hood gargles balls :grrr:

Last edited:
I wanted to find an older cam cover that had been polished.

I found a pic..

1800FrankDerks9.jpg

I think I shall do mine polished :)
Anyone know how to preserve a finish like this without polishing it every 5 minutes or is that the best option?

Rob

valve-cover.jpg

valve-cover-2.jpg

valve-covers-new-old.jpg

I didn't shave the letters (yet). It's been farking cold and I didn't feel like it today. I scrubbed what parts of the engine I could reach and pressure washed the engine bay. It's looking sexy right now. :]

I didn't shave the letters (yet). It's been farking cold and I didn't feel like it today. I scrubbed what parts of the engine I could reach and pressure washed the engine bay. It's looking sexy right now. :]

When you do, lay down 3 layers of painters tape around the letters, I did only one, and found out that 200 grit sand papers chews through it in about 2 passes :grrr:

Also, use several grades of sand paper, the last one being the highest you can find. Avoid emory cloth, it removes paint quickly, but scores the aluminum pretty deep.

I put a new gasket on when I swapped valve covers, and now my car seems to turn over a lot faster/smoother, sounds quieter, and produces a smoother power curve. Def more than just cosmetics if you have a fail valve cover gasket. :)

Back