• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Brand new '81 262C Bertone Coupe . . .

Tom, you still thinking about having the bronze paint redone? get it running OK yet?

Yeah, gotta get the bronze paint done. It looks OK as any used car but the gold is so good it stands out as inadequate. While we have had a very warm winter cold is back again and I don't do cold very well so it may be a month before I get active again.

The car runs and I have driven it around so I put that down and got back to appearance.

Another beautiful day in the neighborhood . . . .

Seventy-five degrees with crystal blue skies.

The oil pan 'weeps' just enough to attract dirt so it looks pretty nasty. Good day to take care of little problems so I spent about $0.34 of labor on cleaning and painting the pan.

Bertone20Oil20Pan.jpg

And polishing the bolts and washers.

Bertone20Oil20Pan20Bolts20and20Washers.jpg

After the success at polishing the hard anodized aluminum hub caps I suspect that the finish on the commando bumpers will do the same. Having experienced only the dull shine of the bumpers for many years perhaps I have forgotten that they were once bright.

Last edited:
Did you clear coat the hardware? I do think that all of the hardware all over the car if not yellow cad plated then it has either a zinc coating or other coating to prevent rust. If the hardware is just buffed lightly it will polish out nicely. But if you put a wire wheel to, so long rust proofing and wait for the rust appear. Ask me how I know.

Black epoxy engine paint for the pan.

Haven't yet but have a rattle can of auto clear coat for bolt heads and washers. They look good at the moment with a wire brush finish.

Got the pan off and found that the hidden rear of the pan gasket was leaking enough to leave a 5" puddle over night. And the leak dripped onto the steering rack before falling on the floor. Pan bolts tight and nothing found that indicate other than a 35 year old oil leak. Cleaning the bottom of the pan gasket surface is not a fun project.

Put a straight edge and a level on it. You never know where the ghost of Elroy will be hiding.

A point here, a point there . . . it all adds up.

Bertone20Oil20Pan20Finished.jpg

Carefully torqued to 120 inch/pounds . . . .

Last edited:
Sure, but I will know what it looks like. New oil and filter today and will see if it leaks.

No leaks, no drips, no runs . . . .

It has been a couple months since I cranked the engine and it cranked up just fine and idled as expected.

Last edited:
Paint Prep II

Made the decision to repaint the bronze lower area of the Bertone. It looks very OK but does not match the quality of the gold top area.

Everything has to come off.

Bertone20Paint20Prep.jpg

Bertone20Paint20Prep202_1.jpg

If you're like me you will also paint the horn support, the headlight mounting bracket, bumper supports, and on and on.
Tom did you try to tap the pins on the clips back to front to save them?

Guess I'm like you. Mentally inventoried all the stuff that is going to have to be painted. No, on the clips. Thought I remembered finding them without difficulty on the wagon.

Time to remove the 'VOLVO' and 'COUPE' from the trunk lid. Obviously installed with double backed attachment tape. I have used a heat gun and a razor blade to get such off. Any better suggestions?

That was easy! Heat gun to warm, not hot to the touch and it came right off with a long razor knife.

Bertone20Volvo20Coupe.jpg

A few minutes with a fine polish indicates that the plastic chrome is not to get back to new.

Pile of stuff taken off getting bigger. The side trim really needs some TLC. The plastic/rubber is not smooth and certainly not the original black. Probably needs to be sanded with 600+ or a 3M scuff pad and some 'Back to Black' applied.

Suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:
I saved most clips on our Bertone. Couple broke just because they were brittle.
Anyone have a source for those?

Tom, nice work. Excited to see the outcome.

part number for thin stainless trim clip is 1202961. Tasca list these for $1.84 ea. Not sure if they actually have. Saw some Ebay Germany too.

Tom, dental floss should work for the emblems too. As for the black on the side trim I would source another trim, doesn't have to be for the Bertone, to practice on. A front fender trim from any 81-93 should work.

Back