• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Search results

1. 2

electrical woes...

So some months ago I went for the "gusto" (not really) and had my "B" cam replaced with a slightly higher life (11.23 mm lift vs. 10.6 mm) and an electric fan to replace the normal mechanical fan off the water pump. Lately I've been having running issues in the particularly hot weather we've...
  2. 2

Still Misfiring

It was discovered that the spark plugs on my B21F were missing their brass inserts which the plug wire ends attach to. However, the car STILL misfires a little bit under load at city speeds which tells me that it will probably misfire at highway speeds. I've cleaned the distributor and reset...
  3. 2

Fuel Pump Relay Connector Clip Slightly Melted

So here's a weird one...my car (K-Jet setup) melted through a couple of fuel pump relays at the brown wire...then my mechanic replaced the old melted clip with a new one and I replaced the relay. Yesterday I checked the relay for kicks and noticed the clip at the brown wire has started to melt...
  4. 2

Fuel Distributor Problem Mk II?

So after limping home last weekend I took the car into my mechanic who cleaned the fuel distributor and air flow sensor, and he reset (common issue with K-Jet airflow sensors) the air flow sensor. Surprise! The car ran incredibly well with no hiccups, sputtering etc -- for two days. Now it's...
  5. 2

Fuel Distributor Problem?

I was about to take a 110 mile trip on Saturday afternoon when the car began coughing at highway speeds over 50...it would buck when I would accelerate at highway speeds so I drove the car back to my mechanic (whom I was lucky to get ahold of). He pulled the hose that goes from the airbox to...
  6. 2

Fuel Distributor Mod

So a 240 guru suggested to me a way to boost the power on a B21F motor was to change the stock fuel distributor to a 1976 version which has a larger hole, thus allowing more fuel to enter the combustion chamber. Apparently 1976-82 models had smaller holes in the fuel distributors. However, is...
  7. 2

Going through fuel pump relays...

So I just had my in-tank pump replaced only to learn I've melted a second fuel pump relay. The car suddenly decided not to start and so after several minutes of being highly upset with this car which has suddenly become unreliable. I was able to start the car by jumping fuses 4-5 to make the...
  8. 2

Fuel Pump Question Mk. II

I recently replaced the fuel pump relay (which had shown signs of weakening before finally going out) and was told this could be a sign that the fuel pump itself was crapping out. Today, I drove home from work and the car showed signs of shuttering as if it was not getting fuel -- the tank...
  9. 2

Fuel Pump

So I was told that it was possible that because my fuel pump relay crapped out (actually burned on one of the tabs) that my fuel pump could go out sometime soon. Has anyone else heard of this possibility?
  10. 2

OD relay location

When my alternator decided to crap out on Sunday, the overdrive still worked. However, it seemed to take a few minutes of driving before it would engage. Today I took a trip on the highway and could not get the OD to engage. No click, no nothing. I know the wires are fine because they were...
  11. 2

Voltage Regulator?

Tonight I was cruising back home from visiting my brother for the weekend and while driving at 70 mph the radio simply cut out. Then the dash lights dimmed, the guage for temp and fuel started to go down (as if the car was just shut off) and finally I lost driving power. I pulled the car off...
  12. 2

Overdrive Unit Load Variations

I was driving today on the highway (in an '81 242 B21/M46 OD trans) and found myself in a potentially prickly position: a semi was going about the speed limit (65 mph) in the fast lane and a dually pickup was in the slow lane doing about 60 mph when the semi slowed down to let me pass the dually...
  13. 2

Bright Light Issues

So I felt like testing the bright lights on my '81 242 one night and when the fog lights engaged rather than four headlights shining light, one of the main lamps shuts off. When I disengage the fog lamp setting, the light that was out comes back on. The bright lights never actually engage...
  14. 2

Cluster Removal Difficulty

So I've got all the screws off the cluster panel I'm pulling to switch speedos and it seems that the speedo cable itself is preventing me from removing the cluster fully. It has no slack at all, so am I going to have to get under the car to disconnect the speedo cable from the transmission?
  15. 2

Cluster Panel Swap

So here's the deal...in my '81 242 I have a cluster with a tach, 85 mph speedo and temp/fuel guage and I'm going to switch it with a cluster that has a tach, 120 mph speedo and temp/fuel guage out of an '84. I think everything should be all right considering the speedometers on both clusters...
  16. 2

Oil Light Flickering Mk II

So I've taken care of my oil leak problem and the oil light persists flickering in my '81 242. Sometimes it flickers faintly and other times it flickers obviously. It didn't used to flicker when the engine was cold but now it does. I bought a new oil pressure sensor thinking this is the...
  17. 2

Oil Light Flickering

My car had a massive oil leak recently attributed to the half moon seal on the back of the head having gone rock hard and not sealing anything. My mechanic replaced the stock cam and replaced the valve cover gasket but didn't replace the half moon seal. I learned of this oil leak by driving...
  18. 2

B21F 8V to 16V conversion

My mechanic suggested to me the possibility of converting my '81 242's B21F into a B21F with a 740 16V head that he has access to. It's said that in the UK during '82-'83 you could purchase a 16V head from Volvo (for 4000 UK pounds -- e.g. a lot of money) to convert n/a B21/B23 engines to 16V...
  19. 2

240 Series Rev limits?

Here's a weird one. I have an '81 242 -- B21F, 4spd/OD tranny and when you're in 4th gear with OD engaged, you get 3500 rpm, tops. The tach will not register any higher. The speedo only goes to 85 in the first place. So here's the question: Did 240s in 1981 have any kind of rev limiting (or...
  20. 2

A K-Jet to LH-Jet conversion?

I know this might sound insane, but is it possible to convert a normally aspirated B21F with K-Jetronic injection to LH-Jetronic injection? I drove an '84 wagon that got really good mileage but was sort of a dog in other respects in that it ate starter motors and had a host of electrical...
Back