• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Recent content by polaris

1. polaris

Bought a NOS cruise control kit...but...

The Gen III Volvo 240 cruise control (1989-1993) is what you need. It is not worth the effort to retrofit the older type in your 1993. The Gen I system you purchased (1980-1985) needs a pickup which is mounted on the back of the mechanical speedometer/odometer. in 1986 the 240s have an entirely...
  2. polaris

240 seat bottom grid.. where do springs go

When rebuilding 240 seats or servicing the seat heater element, I install a layer of cardboard between the foam and the seat grid. This protect the wires and springs from digging in and cutting the foam apart as well as helps keep the plastic reinforcement cast into the seat foam somewhat...
  3. polaris

Are the 1981 Volvo 240s any good?

Background: I have owned two 1981 240s, a 242DL and 244DL. Owned each one of those cars for around 5 years. The 242 I gave to a friend after moving to San Francisco from PA. The 244 was sold to the state through the CA Vehicle Retirement Program. Echoing Mr V., the main item I would look for...
  4. polaris

Left turn signal works with headlights off. Doesnt work with headlights on?

First, check the grounds for all the front lights. What happens when you activate the hazards? Do they work correctly or do they have the same problem as with the turnsignals? Have you ever replaced out your front parking lights at all? If so, you might want to check out that wiring is correct...
  5. polaris

Ebay 122 Aluminum Radiators: + or - ?

Looking like I might need to find a replacement radiator for my 1967 122S in the near future. Want to get some data points on whether the aluminum ones on Ebay are great, meh or a grenade waiting to detonate. IIRC when these initially came out it sounded like there might be some fitment issues...
  6. polaris

1973 140 windshield options

With my former 1973 142, it had rust along the cowl and a-pillar areas. When I had the dash out to retrofit in the one from a mid-80s 240 I had the cowl rust attended to. At the same time I replaced the windshield with one of the flat 1992-93 240s. Wanted to have the look of the black surround...
  7. polaris

1975 B20 no start Kjet woes

FYI: In the US there was a government recall for the gas tanks in the 1975 240s. Depending on when this was done, the car may be fitted with the later style 240 tank with the in-tank pump set up. That is the case with my 1975 242...
  8. polaris

1975 B20 no start Kjet woes

Some thoughts, apologize if any of these are remedial or something you have tried already: 1) Have you checked each injector is working properly? When I picked up my 1975 242 from Luke almost 10 years ago, it initially ran fine then lapsed into having hard starts. It was running similar to...
  9. polaris

M46 Manual swap Over Drive wiring issues

A misnaming on my part, the lockout is only found on the 1993 240 automatics. What I am refering to is the "Neutral Safety Switch" previously mentioned by dl242gt in the second post, aka "Start Inhibitor Switch" (F) in the wiring manual (see below.) The jumper wire needed for a manual...
  10. polaris

M46 Manual swap Over Drive wiring issues

1) OD Wiring Harness: From my experience there is an earlier and later harness, the earlier type uses a 5 pin relay (blue) and the later ones use the 7 pin relay (reddish.) The 7 pin relay set up I believe is shared with the automatic cars starting around 1986, I assume this is to reduce the...
  11. polaris

Rear Axle Seal Needs Changing

For Volvo-specific mechanic, talk to the the guy working out of the 16th and Guerrero Shell station. He use to run the Volvo garage in the Castro until 7-8 years ago. I have not used him, but know one or two who have. May want to check what is hourly rate is these days. A couple other gearhead...
  12. polaris

A few questions regarding fitting '91-93 AC in early 240s.

In my 1975 originally the coil is mounted on the back of the drivers side shock tower near the hinge. When I installed the 1990 B230, I moved it to the front side as that is where the electronic ignition box for the B20 was placed in that year. When I installed the AC, this is where the AC...
  13. polaris

Anyone making an early 142 Recaro Seat Bracket?

As far as I know it is always the 3-point, u-shaped mount for the 140/164s. The Lethal Performance link you shared, to me almost looks more like a mount meant for a 240 series car but backwards with the 4 mounting points with the two of them parallel to the floor and the other two almost...
  14. polaris

Anyone making an early 142 Recaro Seat Bracket?

Joe, As a data point the 122 and 140/164 have the same U-shaped mount set up, but the 122 ones are an inch or so shorter in width so they are not interchangeable. If you can find a 1975 164, the mounts are adapted to take 240 style seats. That is what i did in my old 1973 142 which had the...
  15. polaris

Ken Rogers (Redwood Chair) Memorial Picnic, July 22, 2023

I'll be there as well.
Back